What Is An Idom...?
An idiom is an expression consisting of a combination of words that have a figurative meaning. The figurative meaning is comprehended in regard to a common use of the expression that is separate from the literal meaning or definition of the words of which it is made.Idioms are numerous and they occur frequently in all languages. There are estimated to be at least 25,000 idiomatic expressions in the English language. (source : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idiom)
Can I Use Idioms In My Essay...?
- Students are encouraged to use idioms in PT3 and SPM examinations.Using relevant and suitable idioms in an essay will help students to get a better mark for their essay.
- Don't simply use idioms just for the sake of getting better grades for your essay paper, this will backfire if the idioms you use are irrelevant or out of place.
- You can use idioms in the beginning paragraph or in the body paragraph or in the closing paragraph. It all depends on the topic and suitability of the idioms used.
- Be careful not to over do it.You might be impressed but it does not necessarily mean the examiner would be.
- Do not use idioms when writing formal letters or business letters.
- So, for a better grade use at least three idioms.If you can't write three at least write one idiom in the closing paragraph.
Sample Sentences With Idioms...
- The suffering Adam went through in life was actually a blessing in disguise,for it has taught him to be prudent and thrifty with his finances.
- Many obese Malaysians are actually couch potatoes.They just like to sit and eat on a couch all day long watching movies without moving an inch.
- Students who like to drag their feet will not be able to finish their school project on time.
- Students need to widen their horizons in order to face the challenges of globalisation.
- People who like to be mules for drug traffickers must learn to face the music if caught by the authorities.
- Sam has a gut feeling that something bad is going to happen today.
- Parents need to have a heart to heart talk with their teenage children often.This will help them to understand the emotional turmoil their teenage children are going through better.
- Reading helps a person to be knowledgeable about his surroundings and not be in the dark.
- Parents need to keep an eye on their children's after school activities.
- We packed our things and headed to the remote village in Manjala. The journey was quite challenging and dangerous but we managed to steer clear of danger and reached the village safe and sound.
- My father and mother are always at loggerheads, they never once agreed on anything, always pointing fingers at one another over silly matters.
- After waiting for six long years, Pat and Mandy finally tied the knot. Their parents gave them an out of this world wedding reception as a wedding gift.
- Henry is quite wrapped up with his construction work. He just can't afford to take a break or put up his feet even for a second.
- Miranda has put on weight after giving birth to her baby girl. She plans to work out more to shed the extra pounds.
- Starting from 2013, every student must pass their History paper. Students are worried that they might not be able to sail through it because History is all Greek to them.
- The old house opposite my house has a ghostly presence, it gives me goose bumps just looking at it.
- The bank was robbed in broad daylight.The police are not leaving any stones unturned, they are working out a game plan to catch the mastermind.
- People around the world must have an attitude of give and take in order to enjoy continuous peace.Insensitive words or religious undertones will only create ripples which can turn into a vicious cycle of unnecessary violence.
- The two opposing political parties are hoping for a landslide victory this coming election. Working committes from both parties have rolled up their sleeves for some serious campaining.