Wednesday, 3 August 2016
Wednesday, 6 April 2016
The picture shows an accident you witnessed on your way to school.
Based on the pictures given, write about the incident in your school magazine.
- describe what happened
- express what you felt
- suggest ways on road safety
- write between 120 and 150 words.
Tips to answer this type of question
- Use the 6W 1H method
- Read the question carefully
- Use the information given in the question to write your essay.
- Write at least 200-250 words as time permits.
[A Simple Sample Essay]
An accident I witnessed
Last Monday morning, I decided to walk to school rather than to cycle there. The distance to school from my house is just a stone's throw away. As I lazily dragged myself to school.Suddenly,as fast as lightning, a group of boys whizzed pass me on their bicycles. They were racing with each other.
Unfortunately, one of the boys hit a big rock by the road side and fell down hard onto the road.He was the last one in the group. Unaware,his friends just kept racing on.I was shocked at what I saw and quickly ran to help him.
To my surprise, it was Kamal, my friend. His right arm and right leg were bleeding and he could not move his right arm.Furthermore, It gave him an excruciating pain when he tried to move it.His friends rode back to see what had happened.
Luckily, a good samaritan stopped his car and took him to the hospital. Later in the evening, his friends and I paid him a visit at the hospital.He was still in pain but he managed to joke about his experience with us.He deeply regretted his actions and vowed never to race again.Road safety is very important.
Therefore, we must take it seriously. We must never race while cycling on the road.We must always cycle on the opposite side of the road and always wear protective gear when cycling. As the saying goes, prevention is better than cure.
(The sample essay above is roughly 240 words and I have used 4 idioms in the essay)
- Prevention is better than cure - it is better to stop something bad from happening than it is to deal with it after it has happened.
- As fast as lightning -incredibly quickly or speedily.
- Good Samaritan - a person who helps other people and especially strangers when they have trouble.
- A stone's throw away - a very short distance.